Quantcast

Welcome to RC Drone Forum! Use the main menu and search bar to navigate our site. It's always FREE to join our Drone Community and post in our forums, create your own Drone club, share your photos and videos and more. It's easy to get started and you can login with some of these popular social networks.

Cell Phones and Downloaded Apps

I'm a total newbie with drones or quadcopters.  I get the gist of what they are all about but on the tech side there's grey area for me.  I think I may be dyslexic or something like that but I'm quick learner once I've had a chance to play around with stuff like this.

My question about these drones that require the downloading of a specific app in order to use as an additional means of controlling your drone;  and to work as a live feed display to see what your drone-camera is seeing;  does the cell phone one uses have to be connected to a cell-phone-service provider???   What I'm getting at is;   I have a couple of old cell phones that I don't use any more.  One is an older iPhone and the other is an Android model.  They both have the WiFi protocol that's needed to send and receive the signals that would go back and forth from the drone to the cell phone.

Would it be possible to use one of my old cell phones if I were to download the needed app onto my existing service-connected cell phone then transfer that app manually to my non-service-connected cell phone so that I could use that non-service-connected cell phone as a dedicated monitor for the drone in question?  I'm hoping the answer is yes cause I see no reason to use up the battery of my existing service-connected cell phone as a display for what the drone camera is seeing.  With my older non-service-connected or no longer used cell phones I even have extra batteries so that would be a plus as well.

Additionally,  If such a thing is possible I most likely can delete all unneeded apps and widgets that came with those older cell phones and further increase the battery life of those cell phone batteries some what too.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Well dang;  Me and the two people who viewed my post must be the only members of this forum.  I thought I'd have an answer by now.  Can anyone tell me how to unregister?  There has to be a forum somewhere with the knowledge base to be able to give an answer.  I know I don't have the answer.  That's why I came here.

This definitely isn't a busy forum, so if you are looking for something with a quicker response, you'll need to find a more active forum. As far as your original question, as long as the phone isn't too old and has the latest ios or android installed to run the latest manufacturer's app, I don't see an issue with most. I use an older iphone 6 on one of my play drones and it works fine.

if you want to unregister, just pm me and I'll remove your membership, no problem.

Thank you Alex:

I appreciate you getting back to me about this.  I really do but I think I will still PM you to unregister.

I've been doing some internet searches regarding my initial inquiry both on YouTube as well as the Android phone forums and as I suspected, such a thing is possible.  It's funny that no one has posted a video on how to do such a thing.  I would think that this kind of information would be very useful for those folks who didn't want to tie up their existing cell phones and who also happened to have a spare no-longer-used cell phone laying around.

My particular old Android phone has been laying dormant in my closet for several years now.  Thankfully it still falls within the right version  or operating system to support the drone app I need.  (just barely)  I hope I didn't come off sounding smug with my last post.  It's just that my initial inquiry was part of my internet search for information on the possibility of using an non-service-provider-connected Android cell phone as my drone's dedicated live feed monitor.  My apologies if I offended.  I have to do these kinds of internet searches even if it means joining and then un-joining various forums.  I'm tech-retarded and dyslexic on top of that so this is what it takes for me to get up to speed on some things.  Even then, when it comes to tech gadgets like drones or cell phones and such I'm still left scratching my head wondering; WTF???   For me, ignorance is not bliss.

Tim M.

1 hour ago, HollowPoint said:

Thank you Alex:

I appreciate you getting back to me about this.  I really do but I think I will still PM you to unregister.

I've been doing some internet searches regarding my initial inquiry both on YouTube as well as the Android phone forums and as I suspected, such a thing is possible.  It's funny that no one has posted a video on how to do such a thing.  I would think that this kind of information would be very useful for those folks who didn't want to tie up their existing cell phones and who also happened to have a spare no-longer-used cell phone laying around.

My particular old Android phone has been laying dormant in my closet for several years now.  Thankfully it still falls within the right version  or operating system to support the drone app I need.  (just barely)  I hope I didn't come off sounding smug with my last post.  It's just that my initial inquiry was part of my internet search for information on the possibility of using an non-service-provider-connected Android cell phone as my drone's dedicated live feed monitor.  My apologies if I offended.  I have to do these kinds of internet searches even if it means joining and then un-joining various forums.  I'm tech-retarded and dyslexic on top of that so this is what it takes for me to get up to speed on some things.  Even then, when it comes to tech gadgets like drones or cell phones and such I'm still left scratching my head wondering; WTF???   For me, ignorance is not bliss.

Tim M.

No problem.